24 May 2005

Carter Gap Shelter to Rock Gap Shelter

Appalachian Trail, 12.1 miles

Today's biggest accomplishment was summitting Albert Mountain, which kicked my tail. It was quite a scramble -- lots of hand-over-hand climbing, but what a rush when I finally got to the top! It was sunny, 70, and clear. Or as clear as it gets around here anyway... even on a clear day the Smoky Mountains still look, well... smoky. But could I ask for more? I think not!

As a bonus, my phone worked on the top of Albert so I was able to call Michigan and Maryland. Unfortunately, Jay wasn't home, so I had to leave a message. I really miss him. I did talk to Pete, though, and found out his test went well today -- yay! I really prayed for that. I wish I would've remembered to tell him how much I'm liking my trekking poles.

After conquering Albert I felt like I could pretty much do anything, I was so happy. But rather than speed-race all the way to the shelter, I took a long, leisurely lunch break at Long Branch Creek. My feet appreciated it. Speaking of the dogs, I used some stuff on my feet this morning called Body Glide. (Ed, the thru-hiker from the other night, gave me some to try.) It's an anti-friction product used by surfers, bicyclists, and anyone else who has problems with chafing or blisters. It looks like a miniature container of deodorant. Anyway, it worked great... no blisters all day long. I'll have to pick up some of that stuff.

The Rock Gap Shelter has a bear cable (the first I've seen in NC), but the shelter itself is kind of old and creepy. And I don't like the fact that it's so close to a road. They say that the best way to avoid crime on the trail is to stay far away from roads... so I was getting a little wigged out when it looked like I would have to stay here all night alone. I was really glad to see Randall, another hiker from last night, show up around 4:30. I never mind company at night. I haven't had to stay anywhere alone at night yet; I'm wondering if that will happen this trip...

Found out from Randall that Ed the thru-hiker saw a bobcat on his way out of Carter Gap this morning. Bears, then wild pigs, now bobcats. Is God mercifully making these beasts invisible to me so that I don't go charging terrified down the mountain and call Fred The Shuttle Man to take me back to my car? Or am I just so way off in my own thoughts that I'm oblivious to everything around me? Another case in point: at the top of Albert today two different people asked me, "Did you see that dead bear on the side of the trail as you came up to the summit?" Nope. Missed that. It blows my mind that I could be THAT inattentive! I guess I was so fixated on getting to the top of the mountain without causing heart stoppage that I couldn't see beyond the step or two in front of me. Makes me wonder what else I'm missing.

God is teaching me about small steps today... that even a slow, pitiful, tiny step is still a step toward the goal, and it's not always so important how fast I get there.

Highlights of the day: Summitting Albert Mountain, passing the hundred-mile mark on the AT.
Hiking time: 5 hours (7:15 with breaks)

No comments: