23 May 2005

Muskrat Creek Shelter to Carter Gap Shelter

Appalachian Trail, 12.5 miles

Another hard day, but I'm feeling a lot better than yesterday. It helps to get an early start. It threatened rain this morning, but nothing ever came of it, so I'm really thankful for that. I'm still really congested, though, and I'm worried I'm going to exhaust my Kleenex supply. I really didn't bring enough for potty needs and nose-blowing...

Today was my longest mileage day of this trip. I summitted Standing Indian Mountain at about 11:45 -- it's the highest point I'll reach all week. I actually enjoyed the long, slow burn up the mountain.

I liked my poles even more today -- I think they're really helping me avoid fatigue in my knees.

Tonight's shelter, like last night's, has no bear cable. I wonder if that will be the norm in North Carolina? It bothers me a bit, but again, it's not so scary as long as I'm not alone. Tonight three other solo hikers showed up, so I'll let them fend off any bears.

I took a cold pill after dinner. I had hoped to avoid doing that, but the congestion was really getting to me. It's nice to be able to breathe through my nose for a little while.

Wayne, one of the other hikers, went out for a brief walk after dinner and came back white as a sheet. Apparently he was bumbling along, minding his own business, when he was approached by a small herd of wild pigs. Excuse me? Like the hakuna matata variety? No one told me there were wild pigs out here. Now I have to think about bears and pigs? Luckily they veered off the trail and left Wayne alone... I hope they do the same for me if I happen upon them.

Ed is a thru-hiker at tonight's shelter who reminds me of what Jay will be like in 25 years or so. He is a sweet, happy, joyful man, mid-sixties, who absolutely loves to take pictures. He tells me he takes about seven pictures for every mile that he hikes. He says he only travels about a mile and a half an hour because he's always stopping and fiddling with his camera. This made me understand why his wife didn't hike with him -- she would've killed him by now.

Tomorrow after I'm done hiking I get to change my clothes -- yay me! I'm sure I stink to high heaven.

Hiking time: 5 hours, 18 minutes (6:50 with breaks)

No comments: