26 June 2015

Abingdon Gap Shelter to Hiker’s Inn, Damascus

Appalachian Trail, 10.4 miles

Rain was predicted today, and it came right on time, just as we packed up and set off for Damascus. It got so dark just before the rainfall started that it felt like it was about 9pm! The rain felt cool and nice, and on the last day of a hike, you don’t even really care if you get wet because you know that a shower and dry clothes are just a few hours away.

We made great time today since the hike was mostly downward. It was only about 10am when we reached the Tennessee/Virginia state line. It sure felt good to put another state behind me!

By the time we got into Damascus just three and a half miles later, the rain had stopped.

Once we got down off the mountain, it was a short walk to Hikers Inn, where the owners, Paul and Lee, graciously provided us with thick, warm towels and a hot shower. It’s a lovely place and it was great to talk with Paul about his 2010 thru-hike.

And of course we then bee-lined it to Hey Joe’s for a fish taco lunch.

The day was topped off by a nice dinner at the Damascus Old Mill Inn with our Georgia friends (Zach, Scott, Jeff, and Rusty). They also finished their hike today, and were staying just a block away from Hikers Inn.

Tomorrow we head home. And I already have all sorts of plans for the next hike.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read your whole blog in one sitting.... amazing!!! I still can't get the thoughts of those huge spiders out of my mind. I'm going to appreciate my comfy bed tonight a little more than usual. Glad you had a safe hike. I find myself wondering what Mom would say about her little girl scouring through the mountains with bare essentials. I'm sure was watching over both of you. XOXO Pat

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your trip Jeanette. Very enjoyable read.
R. Price