21 June 2015

Kincora Hostel to Campsite Near US 321

Appalachian Trail, 8.6 miles

We could not get out of Kincora fast enough this morning. Impressively, Tim braved the spiders all night and was understandably ready to scram by 6:30am. As was I, since the cats had crawled all over me all night as I slept half-sitting-up on a grimey, smelly couch near the woodstove. On the bright side, maybe the lingering smell of cats on my clothes will drive away any mice we encounter in the shelters this week.

After a quarter-mile hike down Dennis Cove Road, we were on the AT! It felt good to see those white blazes again! Within only a couple miles we came upon an awesome rock wall and the beautiful Laurel Falls. I swear it is like medicine to be out here.

It was a hard climb up to the top of Pond Flats. Harder than I expected. I sweated buckets all day long and am a little concerned about water. Water is supposedly very sparse for the next 12 miles or so, and I am drinking like a fish. I don’t have much left in the platypus tonight, but there is supposedly water available from a spigot at Watauga Lake, which is a quarter mile north tomorrow morning.

In the bad news department, when we stopped for the day, I put down my pack and made the devastating discovery that somewhere along the way, my sandals had come unclipped from my backpack and apparently fell out on the trail. This seriously messes up my comfort level for the week, because it means I won’t have any alternate footwear in the evenings when my feet need a break from my boots. I am so bummed.

No comments: