09 September 2016

Wapiti Shelter to Sugar Run Gap and Woods Hole Hostel (AT Day 8, Fall 2016)

Appalachian Trail, 7.7 miles

That climb this morning though. It was really wicked. But now I am done. And my feet are so glad of it. When I finally reached Sugar Run Road and caught a glimpse of the gleaming metal roof of Woods Hole Hostel, I nearly collapsed in gratitude. And now that I'm showered and napped and wearing comfy cotton clothes, the whole week of hiking seems something like a dream.

A beautiful site after sleeping
in a hammock outdoors for a week!
Michael and Neville have a pretty amazing place here. At 5:30pm, whoever is here gathers in the kitchen and gets a job. Mine was to cube zucchini and yellow squash (which was picked just today from Neville's garden) and sauté it, and also to cook about six pounds of ground meat (which was from their butchered cows). The eight other hikers who are staying here tonight did things like pick and wash salad greens, grate cheese, set the table, and help Neville make tortillas.

Some of the gardens at Woods Hole Hostel
The meal was so incredible. It was like a gourmet version of Chipotle. Afterward all of us stayed to clean up. I am beyond full after two helpings of salad and two burritos.

My dinner mates
I got to talk to Jay for a few minutes on the phone and it was so good to hear his voice. I miss him so badly, and the kids too. Tomorrow I will get on the road early and hope to be home with my people by dinnertime.

No comments: